Neuromuscular disorders can affect your child’s ability to move certain voluntary muscles and cause them to become weak or waste away over time. Every case is different, but if treatment is started early, further progression can often be slowed. Our neurology team will work to understand your child’s unique condition and create a care plan that offers the best possible outcome.
Why Choose Us For Your Child’s Neuromuscular Disorder Care
- Experience you can trust: We have one of the longest existing and largest pediatric neuromuscular disorders clinics in the region.
- Regional leaders: We can provide newer therapies to qualified children for disorders such as spinal muscular atrophy and Duchenne muscular dystrophy that aren’t currently available anywhere else in the region.
- Comprehensive services: Our specialty clinics and centers, including the Mitochondrial Disorders Clinic, provide customized treatment based on your child’s specific symptoms.
- Supportive care: Our partnership with California Children's Services means you’ll get support for your child’s orthopaedic and rehabilitation needs.
Muscular Dystrophy Association Clinic
Established in the 1970s, the Muscular Dystrophy Association Clinic sees children with a wide group of conditions that affect the nerves and muscles. Clinic director Dr. David Michelson has special expertise in the evaluation and treatment of newborns, infants, and children with these disorders.
Conditions We Treat
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease
- Congenital myopathy
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Mitochondrial disorders
- Muscular dystrophy
- Myasthenia gravis
- Myotonic dystrophy
- Peripheral neuropathy