To be able to see an attending physician take time with a grief-stricken family, pray for them, and the deep emotional impact that makes is amazing. There's an opportunity here to learn to care for patients not just physically, but emotionally and spiritually as well.
The Loma Linda University Pediatric Residency Program is dedicated to excellence in both our resident education and patient care. You’ll develop your ability to serve patients skillfully and compassionately through comprehensive training, including :
- Relevant clinical experiences.
- Pertinent and up-to-date lectures.
- Invaluable patient encounters with our diverse population.
- Our accredited program has been training expert health professionals since 1966.
- We offer residents a path to pediatric primary care through our Riverside-based Primary Care Track.
- Every year, we treat over 134,000 critically ill or injured children at our Pediatric Emergency Room.
- More than 15,000 children are admitted to our inpatient ward every year.
- We have over 250 special beds just for kids, including one of the largest NICU units in Southern California.
- Our resident-run general pediatric clinic cares for more than 20,000 underserved patients yearly.
- We are a faith-based institution promoting healing and teaching to make children whole.
You’ll learn from a wide variety of formats, from clinical exposure to more structured conferences. Topics are focused around preparing residents for the Pediatric Board Exam. Our evidence-based curriculum is guided by resources like up-to-date guidelines, review articles and published reports.
Loma Linda University Children’s Hospital
Loma Linda University Children’s Hospital provides residents exposure to ward teams, pediatric and neonatal intensive care units, and a dedicated pediatric Emergency Department. You’ll also be able to consult with various subspecialty faculty members. You can work closely with faculty in subspecialty multidisciplinary clinics around the Children’s Hospital campus.
In 2021, we will be moving to a brand new children’s hospital! Keep up with the latest developments.
Social Action Community Health System
The resident continuity clinic is based at the Sac Health System. SAC houses multiple specialties and provides a multitude of services to our underserved pediatric population. Services include a pharmacy, an imaging center and a community resource center. The pediatric clinic also provides integrated behavioral health, lactation support, dental health and a procedure suite for outpatient procedures.
Our residents have the unique opportunity to pursue pediatric research for one of the most varied patient populations in the U.S. Typically, residents work closely with a faculty member in the department of pediatrics or one of the full-time researchers on staff. You have the opportunity to join an ongoing research project or choose a new topic of interest.
There are also various ongoing quality improvement (QI) projects in the SAC clinic. These can serve as a project for residents interested in outpatient pediatrics.
Primary Care Track
Our Primary Care Track offers a different curriculum than the categorical program, focused on developing skills for primary care physicians. In this track, most of your time is spent at the Riverside University Health System. You'll still have access to all the same benefits, activities and resources as categorical residents.
Learn more about our Primary Care Track and its curriculum.