"We are their safe person, the one who goes with them into the operating room and holds their hand. We explain what’s going on. It means a lot to them."
Did You Know?
- Child life specialists are prepared at the bachelor's and master's level in child life, child development, and other related fields.
- Child life services are available seven days a week, 365 days a year.
- Activity rooms are staffed by child life assistants who have a background in child development and experience working with children in an early childhood setting.
- Activity rooms are "safe" rooms where medical procedures are not permitted.
- For more information, please call 909-558-8212.
Monday - Thursday: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 2 to 5 p.m.
Friday - Sunday: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 2 to 4 p.m.
What are Child Life Specialists?
Child life specialists work to minimize fears and stress experienced by children, adolescents, and families during hospitalization.
Help to enhance the patient's understanding of medical procedures and diagnoses using age-appropriate techniques.
Implement a wide range of community outreach events.
Listen to patient's fears and/or concerns and to help facilitate coping strategies.
Develop age appropriate activities for children ranging in age from birth to young adult.
Lend emotional support and provide relaxation techniques to patients during invasive procedures.
Integrate play into the healing process by utilizing therapeutic play.
Facilitate grief support groups for children.
Ease the transition from hospital to classroom with the school reintegration program.
Authored by James R. Ball
Child Life Specialist
Loma Linda University Children's Hospital
Child Life Department.
Child Life Services Include
- Sibling visitation
- Therapeutic play
- Bedside intervention
- Diversional activities/accompaniment during tests or procedures
- Support groups (grief/diabetes/cancer)
- School reintegration
- Activity room
- Behavior management
- Family support and education
- Child life internship program
- Volunteer opportunities
How to Contact a Child Life Specialist
Child Life Department
NICU/Total Care Birth Center
Units 3700, 3100, 3200, 3300 and 7200
Units 5100, 5200, 5300 and 6200
Specialty Team Centers Clinic2195 Club Center Dr., Suite G
San Bernardino, CA 92408