Did You Know?
- Child life specialists are prepared at the bachelor's and master's level in child life, child development, and other related fields.
- Child life services are available seven days a week, 365 days a year.
- Activity rooms are staffed by child life assistants who have a background in child development and experience working with children in an early childhood setting.
- Activity rooms are "safe" rooms where medical procedures are not permitted.
Child Life services include:
- Appropriately address social, emotional, and developmental needs of each child
- Introduce and facilitate healthy coping strategies
- Enhance patient understanding of medical procedures and diagnoses using age appropriate techniques
- Pre-surgery preparation and accompaniment to OR
- Emotional support , diversion, and relaxation techniques for patients during invasive procedures
- Therapeutic and medical play
- Sibling visitation
- Grief and bereavement services
- School reintegration program
- Inpatient academic enrichment program
- Wide range of community outreach events