Call us today to make an appointment. We will guide you through the process and discuss whether you need a referral from your physician.
Pediatric Diabetes and Endocrine Center operating hours:
Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. | Friday, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
After hours information:
- You may leave a voicemail after hours and request a call back for the next day.
- If the matter is urgent and you need to speak with a doctor right away, select “0” for the operator and ask to speak to the pediatric endocrinologist on-call.
When to go to the ER or call 911
- If your child’s urine ketones remain large for over 24 hours (strip not getting lighter).
- If your child vomits more than once.
- If your child is lethargic or their breathing changes.
- If your child has confusion, unconsciousness, seizures or inability to move.
- If there is any life-threatening emergency (may or may not be related to diabetes).
What to expect at your first appointment
At your child’s first appointment, you will meet with a team of experts who understand the questions and concerns parents have when a child is diagnosed with diabetes. This appointment can last up to four hours in order for your child to get established with the team. After the first appointment, visit times tend to be much shorter.
When your child was diagnosed, the doctor prescribed a glucose meter; please bring that meter with you to the appointment. We must have it in order to download your child’s blood sugar log that is stored in the meter. We will also check your child’s hemoglobin A1C, which is the average blood sugar level over the past few months. This lab test is performed here in the clinic.
You will also meet with your child’s diabetes physician, as well as additional team members who are prepared to advise and support your family on the journey.
Interpreter Services / Servicios de Traducción
To better serve our diverse community, we offer interpreter services free of charge for both patients and family. Learn more.
Para mejor servir a nuestra comunidad, ofrecemos servicios gratuitos de traducción para nuestros pacientes. Obtenga más información.